Ashlee is an experienced trial lawyer and former federal prosecutor who defends individuals and companies in grand jury and regulatory investigations as well as criminal and civil proceedings involving allegations of health care fraud, money laundering, tax fraud, kickbacks, securities fraud, opioid diversion, and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations.
While with the U.S. Department of Justice for five years, Ashlee served as Assistant Chief in DOJ’s Criminal Division, Fraud Section. Among other responsibilities, she led the Health Care Fraud Strike Force overseeing complex fraud cases in Texas from 2015-2018. In that position, and as a trial attorney before it, she led and supervised dozens of investigations and prosecutions of white collar crime across the country, ranging from FCPA to False Claims Act to Health Care Fraud (such as Medicare fraud, Anti-Kickback, money laundering, and opioid abuse) and tried numerous jury trials to verdict. Ashlee also led the planning for the National Health Care Fraud Training Conference for hundreds of agents and prosecutors in Washington, D.C. and often trained new and experienced prosecutors on investigating health care fraud cases.
VANDERBILT UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL
JD, 2009 (Dean’s List)
BA, 2006 (Phi Beta Kappa, Dean’s List)
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE, CRIMINAL DIVISION, FRAUD SECTION
Assistant Chief, 2015-2018 & Trial Attorney, 2013-2015
LOCKE LORD LLP
Associate, Labor and Employment, 2010-2013
- “Basic White Collar Crime Seminar,” National Advocacy Center, Columbia, South Carolina, February 2018.
- “Government Perspectives on Compliance Programs and Corporate Investigations,” Baker Donelson Compliance Symposium, Houston, Texas, November 2017.
- “Individual Criminal Liability in a Post-Yates World,” 2017 Texas Health Law Conference, Austin, Texas, October 2017.
- “Divergent Paths: Management, Counsel and Living in a Post-Yates Memo World,” American Bar Association Emerging Issues in Healthcare Law Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 2017.
- “Is A Liability Tidal Wave Coming? Post Escobar Fraud and Abuse Standards of Proof,” American Bar Association Emerging Issues in Healthcare Law Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 2017.
- HHS Inspector General’s Award for Integrity (2018)
- Health & Human Services Inspector General Award for Excellence (2016)
- IRS Criminal Investigation’s Recognition for Outstanding Support (2016)
- Assistant Attorney General’s Award for Distinguished Service (2015)
- Won “compassionate release” from federal prison for inmate after BOP neglected his medical care. Read more about this here.
- Successfully defended physician against sexual assault allegations receiving dismissal of temporary restraining order and declination from Harris County District Attorney’s Office.
- Successful representation of former CEO of oil and gas company in investigation by Securities Exchange Commission (SEC).
- Represented executives in investigations involving Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).
- Represented health care providers and executives in Department of Justice investigations involving health care fraud.
- Represented former business owner in federal sentencing, resulting in a significantly lower sentence.
- Successfully defended physician in investigation by Texas Medical Board resulting in the closure of the investigation without negative findings.