Jon’s practice focuses on investigations, regulatory enforcement, and white collar criminal defense. He has represented individuals and businesses adverse to various U.S. Attorneys’ Offices and the U.S. Department of Justice, as well as the Securities Exchange Commission, Commodity Futures Trading Commission, and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. Recent matters have involved allegations of bribery, money laundering, energy market manipulation, and environmental violations.
Before practicing law, Jon worked for six years as an investigator, first with the City of New York and then at Kroll, a global risk consulting firm, where he was a Director in the Business Intelligence and Investigations practice. Jon has extensive experience conducting internal investigations, and he is known for distilling complex factual scenarios into clear, concise narratives, whether for presentation to senior management, government agencies, or a jury.
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SCHOOL OF LAW
JD, with honors, 2014 (Articles Editor, Texas Law Review)
UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO
BA, with honors, 2003
LAW CLERK TO THE HON. SIM LAKE
United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, 2014-2015
QUINN EMANUEL URQUHART & SULLIVAN LLP
NEW YORK CITY CIVILIAN COMPLAINT REVIEW BOARD
As an Attorney
- Member of trial team in United States v. Kaluza, where our client was acquitted of all charges stemming from the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Member of trial team in arbitration of nine-figure contract dispute, litigating alleged FCPA violations as well as complex operational issues on an offshore drilling rig.
- Represented owner of energy trading firm in CFTC investigation; no enforcement action was taken.
- Represented Japanese executive in DOJ price-fixing investigation; no charges were filed.
- Represented area hospital in parallel civil and criminal investigations of potential kickbacks; no case was brought.
As an Investigator
- Investigated over fifty cases of alleged misconduct by members of the NYPD, including excessive force, abuse of authority, and complex search and seizure violations.
- Conducted multiple internal investigations for clients concerned about potential bribery and kickbacks, offshore tax evasion, leaks of confidential information, and other sensitive matters.
- Identified perpetrator of cyber-attack on client’s business, leading to plea agreement with federal prosecutors and nearly $1 million ordered in restitution.
- Carried out monitorship of seven retailers subject to deferred prosecution agreements, coordinating undercover buys, auditing records, and reviewing compliance policies.
- Led investigation of theft and embezzlement for mid-sized city, coordinating with law enforcement, briefing prosecutors, and preparing final report for the City Attorney.